Home » Politics

I Have Been Glenn Beck-etized! Well, Not So Much…

29 August 2010 43 Comments
Arguing with Idiots was published by Simon and...
Image via Wikipedia

Saturday, on the anniversary of Martin Luther Kings’ great “I Had a Dream Speech,” Glenn Beck drew hundreds of thousands followers to the very site of King’s speech. Beck’s rally was called, “Restoring Honor,” and he proclaimed, “We’ve got to go to God Bootcamp.” Can I hear an Amen! No, not just yet.

Let us remember that Glenn Beck profits from fear and hate-mongering five nights a week and has stirred emotions of his followers with rhetoric of a less than Godly nature. Although listening to him, I had two thoughts. First, I thought this guy sounded like a televangelist. Second, I thought he sounded self-aggrandizing and full of dangerous charisma with an audience at rapt attention, as though awaiting the Rapture. “I can testify to you now that one man can change the world!” Wasn’t it Hitler who addressed such huge crowds with similar emotional manipulations?

This is the same Glenn Beck who has told his audience that he believed President Obama “…is a racist with a deep-seeded hatred of white people.” This is the same man who stated, “The president is a Marxist…who is setting up a class system.” This is the same man who has repeatedly stated that health care legislation is “reparation.” His views seem to be in stark contrast with Dr. King’s and yet he chose that time, that site to tell folks to get right with God. I could not help but wonder what Dr. King’s reaction would have been. I do know what Rev. Al Sharpton’s reaction was.

Sharpton stated, “”It couldn’t have been more of a contradiction. When government stayed out of people’s lives, women and blacks couldn’t vote. When government stayed out of people’s lives we were in the back of the bus. We need government to do what Dr. King came and asked government to do in ’63 and we need government to do that now. When you start saying you’re going to reclaim the civil rights movement that’s not even coded, that’s a blatant attempt to high-jack a movement that changed America.”

Maybe, just maybe, Beck has had an epiphany. This morning on FOX News Sunday in an interview with Chris Wallace, Beck was asked about his remark regarding Obama’s “deep-seeded hatred for white people.” Beck actually told Chris Wallace that he regrets his earlier remarks, and that, in fact, Obama’s “viewpoints come from liberation theology…and I miscast it as racism.” Will the real Glenn Beck please stand up?

The messages from Beck were duplicitous, given his statements on TV night after night. Perhaps he is wrestling with his own spiritual demons. I do know that he is a man to be watched. Charisma is great for ratings, but when one man can make heinous statements and then tell people to “…look to God and to love”, well, I cannot help but be alarmed at the number of individuals would may fall victim to the prey, not prayer of his rhetoric.

Enhanced by Zemanta

• Chris J said:

Rasputin had charisma, and that didn’t turn out so well! Like Rasputin (and Hitler) Beck is a smart guy and knows what buttons to push. You’re right to see his victims as prey.

• KAK said:

I think we are dealing with a pysocapathic personality. He wants to go out in a blaze of glory, martydardom is his dream but he will do us a favor and commit suicide…Glen, the floor is yours.

• Harrison said:

Beck apologized for what he said about Obama and I guess 300,000+ idiots showed up while 3,000 “enlightened” protested with Sharpton.

Ross Perot talked about a “giant sucking sound” in 91 but I think we’ll be hearing it as Democrats are flushed in November.

Chris J,
    I like your line about Rasputin. Beck is a smart guy and something tells me he is setting the stage. I am not sure why yet, but I am skeptical. Was keeping Palin on message only about her son and his service to our country a way of trying to legitimize the Tea Party as viable in up-coming elections?

KAK,
    I have concerns that someday we may see a melt-down of Glenn Beck. He seems a bit unstable, or maybe I am mistaking that for the passion of his stance. Suicide? I would not wish that on anyone.

Harrison,
    Glenn Beck is a television celebrity. The Reverend Sharpton is an activist. Beck calls himself a “rodeo clown” while Sharpton has been involved with Civil Rights for decades. As Rich has said, “Beck was preaching to his own choir” at the rally. Enamored followers were there. It was a rock concert without a good band. And though Dr. King gave the “I Have a Dream” speech at this sight, John Avlon of the Daily Beast is saying that this was Glenn Beck’s, “I Have a Nightmare” speech. The contrast is glaring.

You may hear that “giant sucking sound” in November if the Republicans take the majority in elections. It will be the sound of progress draining away.

• Pearl said:

He seems like just another shock-speaker who tries to get people hot-headed and confused. Some people seem to like that sport better than the same result from movies or sports. This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayard_Rustin fellow seems more steadily engaging with the same material of in-group and out-group politics.

Pearl,
    I agree that Beck is like those shock-jock radio guys. Howard Stern comes to mind, great for ratings but little substance.

The article on Rustin was interesting, though he was castigated as a communist for fighting for civil rights in the Sixties. I do think he had a higher calling than Beck.

• bluzdude said:

Beck stands for nothing, other than being heard and making money from that. He’ll say whatever furthers that goal.

“Telling Idiots What They Want to Hear, For Fun and Profit.”

bluzdude,
    Beck reminds me of that old song “War” only with a twist. Beck, uh huh, what is he good for? Absolutely nothin’!

• Harrison said:

Sharpton is a tick on the butt of the “people” he represents and uses anything he can to line his own pockets. If the Tawana Brawley incident didn’t show that I don’t know what did.

I’d say Dems have 300,000+ things to worry about. And out of all those people not a speck of garbage was left on the Mall. When you look at the wasteland of trash left by Obama supporters after his inauguration yet another difference between Conservatives and Liberals becomes readily apparent.

Harrison,
    If you were a Black man you would not say that about Sharpton. The Tawana Brawley thing was, as you said an “incident.” As he has aged, Sharpton has gained much more credibility across racial lines and shows far more restraint than Glenn Beck.

Regarding the “numbers” at Beck’s rally, I would refer you to DAILY KOS and the numbers they are showing through a valid survey. See, Beck is prone to exaggeration, if you hadn’t noticed. The numbers were not in the “hundreds of thousand” as he claimed. Latest figures as posted in DAILY KOS are showing more like 87,000.

• Judie said:

The scariest thing about sociopaths like Limbaugh and Beck is their ability to charm the idiots who are their fans. Don’t be fooled. These guys are in it for the money and the adulation, pure and simple. They should be medicated and locked up.

If the Republicans come into power, we can kiss our education system good-bye, because pretty soon all the children will be pronouncing nuclear “nucular” and using words like “misunderestimated,” whatever the hell that means.

• Cassie said:

Glenn Beck is a leech who’s job is to suck the life out of those who are willing to follow. He feeds off of fear, he tells people fear and he, himself, is full of fear. It’s a sad, sad sight.
    Anyone who fully takes his words to heart really need to stand in front of the mirror and examine who they are inside. Because that person they’re looking at isn’t thinking for themselves.

• Jimbeaux said:

“Telling Idiots What They Want to Hear, For Fun and Profit.”

So anyone who listens to Beck is an idiot?
    Your ignorance and arrogance is so typical of the left, and it is what is driving people from you every day. And that is a very good thing. We are at the point where the government can’t even pay for all of the entitlements with the money it takes in, and if things continue the way the left wants them to, we WILL see a complete economic collapse that will make the collapse of The Weimar Republic look like nothing!

Judie,
    My sister, I can now say Amen! You could not be more right. Limbaugh and Beck “are in it for the money and the adulation.” I remember the not-so-long-ago time when Beck was on CNN and making statements which were completely the reverse of those he spouts now. What did FOX offer him to cross over and up their ratings with a change of political heart? I can name that tune in one note: money. As for “medicated and locked up,” I think both Limbaugh and Beck have been there, done that. According to Wikipedia, “Along the way, Beck struggled with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and substance abuse, and went through recovery in the mid 1990s.” And we know Limbaugh was a drug addict who entered rehab. There is something called a “dry drunk.” That means people who get clean and sober but don’t change their attitudes. One must wonder….

Cassie,
    My fear about the likes of Glenn Beck is that so many people are sheep and fall at the feet of the lowest common denominator, that being fear, as you so rightly stated. They are too lazy to fact-check and are enamored by celebrities. That is why I have serious concerns about Glenn Beck’s Hitleresque approach. If you ever see any old newsreels of Hitler addressing the masses when Germany was suffering economically, you can see how he worked the crowds into a frenzy, blamed all the ills of the country on Jews, and thus began one of the most wretched times in global history. Beck truly believes HE has all the answers and will save the masses from themselves. It is sad…and frightening.

Jimbeaux,
    First of all, I did not make the statement about “Telling Idiots What They Want to Hear, For Fun and Profit.” A commentor made that statement, and I do not disagree with him. If that statement appalls you, take a look at the cover of Glenn Beck’s book, Arguing With Idiots. You seem to think it is fine for Beck to call those of us who disagree with him “idiots” then profit from it, but the populous at large cannot give the same retort? Your logic escapes me.

As to your remarks about entitlement programs, where was your rage during all the Republican years? This is certainly NOT a new issue. Obama at least has the conviction to tackle these issues which have lain dormant throughout Conservative administrations because they feared loss of political gain. At times, during Katrina for example, government must intervene with help. For all your arrogance, I hope you never have the need for any of these programs.

• Tweets that mention I Have Been Glenn Beck-etized! Well, Not So Much… -- Topsy.com said:

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by askcherlock, askcherlock. askcherlock said: RT @askcherlock I Have Been Glenn Beck-etized! .. http://bit.ly/aAx5Xl #Al #Sharpton #Chris #Wallace #Civil #rights #King [...]

• Cassie said:

@Jimbeaux: what confuses me about your comment is the fact that you are repulsed at the spending by Democrats, yet Republicans spend all kinds of money…on themselves. What, with private bank accounts in the Caymans! Not to mention the fact that they voted against giving money and insurance to those who are suffering from long term medical issues related to their service on 9/11. Heaven forbid their monies elsewhere may take a small hit to give to people who better deserve it.

I’ll take a Democrat spending money on the (usually or hopefully) good of America over a selfish Republican refusing to give out any money for fear of loss to their own dividends.

And I’m not even a Democrat!

• Judie said:

Limbaugh was a miserable loser whose parents were greatly disappointed that he could’nt make the grade in high school, and coudn’t hold down a job, and he had MANY. He was always getting fired. He has been married numerous times, but can’t seem to make any of them stick because he seems to have such a strong sense of self that the wives end up leaving him. He is a sick, selfish bastard who would jump the ultra-conservative ship in a heartbeat if he thought he could make more money.

Judie,
    That is a great take on Limbaugh. The sound of his voice makes me think of the devil. Money: that great root of all evil….

• Judie said:

THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. That’s the actual quote. Having enough money to survive is so important, but loving money more than your fellow man should send you straight to hell.

Judie,
    And again I say to you, my sister, Amen!

• Harrison said:

I see, so just because someone is black they automatically support Sharpton? That’s a rather arrogant thing to say isn’t it? There are plenty of blacks who think Sharpton is a tumor and blacks who are disagree are called Uncle Toms. His deal is what they call the “victimologist hustle.”

Anybody who honestly believes Sharpton is a “activist” doing “good” is seriously misguided. Brawley is just one time he got caught. He is a simple race baiter and nothing more. And one who gave the Nazi salute at his rally where just 3,000 people showed up.

You are supportive of someone who gives the Nazi salute? The hatred going on at his rally was in strong contrast to what happened on the National Mall where MLK’s niece spoke among many, many others to a multi-racial crowd.

The wave is coming and many people will get washed away, thankfully.

• Judie said:

Thank you, my sister! Amen, and amen!
    xoxo

• KAK said:

I would like to apologize for my thoughtless comment when I said I want Glen Beck to kill himself. Actually I’m told the turnout was closer to a half million people. That media hound, the “Reverend Al Sharpton” never misses an opportunity to blow off his big mouth to the the TV camera. He calls himself a reverend yet you will never hear him speak of God, religion or spirituality any more that you would hear his idol Jessie Jackson spread the good news. There profession is being a African American activists who scream injustice by the white man.

Harrison,
    Beck’s rally was financed in large part by rich corporate guys. These guys are known to not support the nation’s unemployed, those with low income nor the elderly and ill, though many of those same people attended Beck’s rally. Are they aware of the true agenda of the Tea Party? Throw God into the mix and you think you have validation. Keep in mind that leaders of the GOP have distanced themselves from the Tea Party. They realize, even if you do not, that America has become less White, less Black and more Asian and Hispanic. Conservatives may suffer from this division within their own ranks if they do not take demographics into account.

KAK,
    You have apologized for the suicide statement and that is good. If I were an African American I would welcome Al Sharpton, who despite what you may think, has gained credibility through the years. Some people age well in their thinking and so it is with Sharpton. You crucify people without study and that is something I cannot abide.

• Harrison said:

Yes, the “corporations” led 300,000+ people to travel from all around the country to show their love of country. That is really funny!

America is diverse… which was reflected by the crowd.

And with all of those people there no trash and no arrests. Try saying that when 300,000+ Liberals get together.

Harrison,
    Do a fact-check on the Actual numbers at the rally. I gave you a link yesterday. You are inflating those numbers more than Beck!

You keep harping about “trash.” I find that amusing since it takes you off point. The real trash was in the snake oil talk from Beck. Try cleaning that up.

• The Snee said:

Hi Cher,
    Coming up for a breather, beneath large moving boxes and loads and loads of paper, to read your courageous stance on Beck’s hate mongering, and the empowerment of the Tea Party as a political force with which to be reckoned. Our political and socioeconomic systems seem to invoke such irrational polarization among common people who basically I suspect want the same thing…economic security, a sense of safety, well-being(health) and time to enjoy life. I agree that folks like Beck appear to prey on people’s basest fears with the soul motivation for power and money. On that note, before I go back to my boxes, I’m going to sit down for a cup of refreshing peppermint tea, and wonder why flavored boiled water got steeped into a party of hotheads.

• RE - BadGalsRadio said:

Some How I hear The Talking Heads “Burning Down the House” instead of an apology. he is such a psyched up warped spinning head that you can’t understand what it says when it’s spinning and spewing so many different things in so many different directions.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ! Slap Him Quick

The Snee,
    Thank you for your comment and some much needed comic relief! You always have the ability to say just the right thing with a smidgen of wit that eases the tension.

RE,
    You are so right. We need one of those de-coder rings, you know, like the kind kids used to get in cereal boxes, to find Beck’s true agenda. Many of us have the ability to de-code without them. Slap!

• One of The Guys said:

I find him, and people like him, to be so blatantly inaccurate that it’s funny, and horrifying at the same time. Are people that desperate, and hopeless, that they need to cling on to anyone that shows any sort of strength, even if it’s damaging to those very people??!!

It’s bizarre.

Well done Cher. This post was great!

One of The Guys,
    It is bizarre, isn’t it? Beck is “inaccurate” in so many of his statements that I don’t understand why people cannot see through this. Desperate times, maybe. Still, answers which are accurate are there if folks look in the right places and to the better-informed people.

Thanks Guys….

• Judie said:

Wasn’t the real number who attended Beck’s dog and pony show around 87,000? That’s a far cry from 300,000!!

If this “cult” manages to “take back America,” how long do you think it will take their followers to realize that they bought a phoney cure? Can our country “take a licking and come up ticking?”

Judie,
    Great comment! These people are not paying attention to facts, such as the real number of those who attended the rally. Right now the Conservatives are poised to take what they think will be a majority of votes in November. What these Tea Party people do not get is that the higher-ups in the GOP are trying to distance themselves from them. My prediction is that if the two factions keep this up, Dems will ultimately prevail due to the split of the votes. Independents will again make a difference.

• chris said:

I think anyone should have a right to say what he believes where he wants. The Washington monument is a place where freedom of speech should be most treasured. No one is going to be able to take Martin Luther King Day away from Americans not just black people. What Glen Beck said about Obama was stupid and he seems to have recanted his statements. He a sensationalist and makes a living saying things that catch peoples interests. With the election of Obama and so many other great accomplishments of black people I think their place in America is firmly rooted. There is no reason to be overly concerned about Glen Beck.

chris,
    I agree that the Washington Monument is for all Americans, but Glenn Beck makes a mockery of it in fork-tongued speech. My concern is that Beck actually does have influence. Though I have contradicted the numbers of those he states attended the rally, even 87,000 people buying into his malarkey is too high a number. We are at a crucial time in our country and frivolous folly at the expense of true leadership takes the focus off real and viable solutions.

• bob loosemore said:

Cher, How I enjoyed this post, in a despairing sort of way, and so wise of you not to block comments from challenged ‘intellects’ like Harrison and Jimbo. The more people with intelligence you reach, the more these two help your cause.

Perhaps your population is no more gullible and simple-minded than any other in the world, and surely more talented, but with such a large ‘market’ the relatively small proportion, but large numbers of people who ‘listen’ to your monstrous media clowns make them rich. The money makes them think they are real people. What about devising a stock ‘thank you’ comment for the above-mentioned, and not reward them with debate, they can neither understand nor change.

Thanks for popping in the other day.

bob loosemore,
    I agree with you that Beck and others of his ilk are primarily about monetizing their views. Just look at the cover here of Beck’s book. Liberals do likewise, to be sure, but not in such a mean-spirited way.

We actually like dissenting opinions, Bob,even if we disagree with them. It makes for a good and proper dialog so that both sides can be heard. Being Liberals, we are like that. Too bad the other side, i.e. FOX news, is not.

Always a pleasure hearing from you.