Home » Entertainment, Politics

Beware The FOX and The Hound of Glenn Beck

29 January 2010 33 Comments

the-foxglenn-beck

Another one of Glenn Beck’s ‘dirty little secrets’ was aired on FOX last Friday. It was promoted as a documentary entitled “Revolutionary Holocaust: Live Free or Die.” I will state out front that I did not watch this, though I have seen excerpts and have read about it. All I can comment on is my opinion based on that. I will admit that at times I have watched Beck just to get a handle on where the other side, that being the Conservatives, were coming from. But I had been somewhat of a follower when he was on CNN. Of course, that was before he changed his stripes and went to FOX, the Conservative blabathon network.

What caught my eye this morning was an editorial published by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, which was actually an excerpt from an article by Eric Burns at AlterNet.org.The title of the Post-Gazette‘s article was “Stepping Over the Line, Glenn Beck calls liberals Hitlers in-waiting.” Well, that got my attention so I began searching for clips from the film and other information about it. From what I have gleaned about this film, Beck drew a subtle link between Hitler, who was in favor of universal health care, to the ‘evil progressives’ of today, many of whom are also in favor of health care reform. The following is a quote from the article:
“Mr. Beck linked the progressive political movement to such nightmares as China’s Cultural Revolution and Hitler’s gas chambers. Mr. Beck alternated images of the emaciated, tortured bodies of the victims he blamed on progressives with archival footage of Goebbels, Stalin and Mao. Behold, America, the future of conservative media.”

The documentary showed some of the atrocities of fascist and communist governments, leading viewers to believe that there is a correlation between those people and the liberals and progressives of today. He threw words around like “socialism” and “communism” as if they are one in the same. Since I am a Liberal and support health care, does that somehow make me a fascist or a supporter of genocide? Do Conservatives believe that our government is fascist and is actually attempting to suppress their ideas about health care?

Glenn Beck has gone over the edge of reason and FOX is enabling him in the name of Ratings. I find him offensive. His innuendos are unacceptable. His temperament is that of a spoiled and perhaps, emotionally challenged child. He cries; he rants; he plays upon our fears. Beware of Glenn Beck as he seeks more prey from the pulpit of FOX.

Enhanced by Zemanta

• VH said:

If you dislike Beck’s allusions of Progressives as Fascists, avoid Jonah Goldberg’s “Liberal Fascism”—-it may make you scream;)

Honestly, I did watch the first part of the series and thought it was very well done. In part one, Beck does the follwing:

1)Beck traces the similarities between Fascism, Socialism, early 20th Century Progressives, and Communism. (Footage of George Bernard Shaw spewing his frightening Eugenics idea’s are sad and true of the man’s political philosophy.)

2)Highlights the murderous regimes of Stalin and Mao and why they are rarely discussed in the same vein as Hitler’s Nazism; interviews with Ukrainian victims of Stalin’s oppression.

3) (My favorite part) Examines the cult of Che Guevara and how our youth essentially promote a murderer by wearing his image as fashion symbol.

I didn’t watch the second part that the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette probably alluded to. But I do agree with you that Beck tends to be over the top and he essentially takes Goldberg’s idea’s to a level that Goldberg doesn’t even dare go. Goldberg was clear in (“Liberal Fascism”) stating that Fascism would never be tolerated in America. Beck apparently disagrees.

• ChrisJ said:

What’s even worse is that so many unthinking people will just swallow it all hook, line, and sinker.

VH,
    I thank you for shedding insight on Beck’s documentary. Part of me wishes I had seen it. Part of me thinks I might have kicked in the TV screen causing us financial damage. Beck does like to take issues to the extreme, like calling President Obama a racist. He got a lot of mileage out of that one and so he continues baiting.

I had studied Fascism in college, but for a refresher I went to Wikipedia. It seems there are many ways of actually defining the term, some use it to describe the far-right and others use it toward the far-left. I liked this one the best: “George Orwell wrote in 1944 that “the word ‘Fascism’ is almost entirely meaningless … almost any English person would accept ‘bully’ as a synonym for ‘Fascist’”

And I agree with you that Che Guevara has become a repugnant cult figure.

ChrisJ,
    You are absolutely right. Too many find it easier to believe a celebrity than to formulate their own opinions. Frightening.

• bluzdude said:

In light of the Supreme’s last ruling, we’d better get used to this kind of thing.

Once the corporations have free reign to produce longer and more sophisticated campaignspots, it’s not hard to see the direction they can take. Facts won’t really matter.

As we’ve seen in the last elections, the more a falsehood gets repeated, the more people believe it.

bluzdude,
    Absolutely right.

• Polarimetric said:

Glenn Beck is the embodiment of everything that is wrong with modern-day politics. He will say and do anything to get a reaction out of his viewers and, ultimately, you’re right — FOX enables him to do it because it gets them good ratings. I am astonished by the number of people that refer to Glenn Beck as a “balanced” reporter and a person that “everyone should listen to” — it’s a disturbing number of people. Unfortunately, ChrisJ IS absolutely right — people will accept things like his attempts to connect liberals and progressives with Hitler and will consider it rational information. It’s truly frightening.

Polarimetric,
    Yes, Beck is truly complicit in the dumbing-down of America, and he is frightening. Those who believe him scare me even more. He’s a “rodeo clown”! Isn’t that what he used to say? How quickly they forget.

• BLOGitse said:

It would be a good idea for Americans to know how healthcare system is run in Scandinavia.
    Basicly everyone has almost free care whatever the illness: dentist (long queues but almost free), cancer, broken bones…

In Scandinavia you pay taxes and from those taxes healthcare is almost free for all. Whatever your social status.
    Scandinavian countries are called ‘wellfare states’.
    But non of the countries are communist nor socialist.

Most of the Scandinavians use private dentist, gynecologist etc.
    But for example if you’re diagnosed breast cancer the treatment is almost free from the beginning till 5 year follow up.

Media is totally another thing.
    Like someone mentioned they stare the ratings. That’s their first thing in the morning. They breath ratings. They’re in war between each others.

What is need now around the globe is ability to read/understand media and start thinking with own brains.
    People should open their eyes, study how other countries are doing, what is good/bad and how to find a good, fair solution to all people.

Life is not black and white.
    Why politicians can’t work together and not to fight with eace others like they’re in war? Shouldn’t politicians serve people?
    Shouldn’t all politicians support what is good and fair to the people of the country?
    Or is politics in US only a celebrity game like American Idols?

• Polarimetric said:

Admin,

I am actually surprised by the people that believe him sometimes. I have had political discussions with people before in which they appear to be at least decently level-headed and rational in their arguments or beliefs, only to later find out that they watch Glenn Beck religiously and consider him a respectable source for political news.

It’s no wonder that Americans are so misinformed when it comes to politics and the inner workings of their own country when men like Beck can spew drivel on a nightly basis for years and still be revered.

• Mama ASID - BadGalsRadio.com said:

Cher My Dear, quite frankly – glenn beck is about as smart as that picture of himself in an ss officers uni on the cover of that book. a real winner that guy..

btw, loved your “Blabathon”; I’ll have to use that one soon.

BLOGiste,
    It is ironic that you bring up the Scandinavian health care system. I was just reading about that the other day and was impressed. The bottom line here in America is that many people just do not want their taxes raised to support such a system, and they have bandied about the phrase “welfare states” as if it were a disease. In fact we do have welfare for the poor and our taxes pay for that. It is the middle class that is left in the lurch because the wealthy can afford to pay whatever it takes.

You hit another good point about the media in America. It has become, much to my chagrin, “a celebrity game like American Idol.” It is sickening because they drive the polls which drive the politics which drive us into the ground. I don’t know what the answer is. The way things are here now, Lady Gaga could get elected (not that she is running). Now, I like her, but as a politician…? Well you see where we are.

Polarimetric,
    Americans have become lazy. Rather than reading a multitude of credible sources regarding issues, they prefer to be spoon-fed by a media personality. That is all Glenn Beck is, a personality. He’s no different than Ricky Ricardo or Alfred E. Neuman.

Mama ASID,
    The fact that Beck donned an SS uniform as an eye-catcher for his book speaks volumes about his lack of sensitivity and how driven he is to play on fears. He also wanted to sell a lot of books, but he sunk to a pitiful level in doing that. I cringe from his image.

• one-eyed dick said:

Beck and O’Reilly were just in Tampa to put on their dog-and-pony show for our rather large Tea Party demographic here. Accordingly, it was a sold-out performance with the accompanying traffic jam that occurs whenever two or more retirees try to drive somewhere other than their usual early-bird haunts.

Saw a snippet of an interview with O’Reilly on our local Fox outlet where the reporter asked him about the content of the show. O’Reilly replied that it’s a question-and-answer session, with O’Reilly asking Beck and question and then vice versa. The reporter then asked about the subject matter and O’Reilly answered something like, “Beck talks about what Beck talks about, stocking up on ammunition, buying gold, the coming anarchy, you know, all his usual stuff.”

It seemed to me that O’Reilly knew this was “entertainment,” much like professional wrestling. Not surprising, though, were some of the attendees who were interviewed, praising these guys for “giving them the real news about what’s going on in the world.” Then, again, these people looked like they would have gone to watch wrasslin’, too. And believed every minute of it!

one-eyed dick,
    It is 10:07pm and you just thoroughly completed my day. I will be smiling about this for a long time. Great stuff!

• Hans said:

‘name inflation’…the guy doesnt know what the Holocaust really means. I consider him as a retard, and probably autistic.)!!

• Dorothy Stahlnecker said:

Unfortunately I think your right everything most of them put on their shows leans towards how to get reaction and controversy going so you come back and not the facts which are best for us.

I do wonder when this will ever stop and once again I know I’ve said this many times where has being bipartisan gone..and we’ll never be alright until our legislators work together for the better of our country plain and simple..

Dorothy from grammology
    grammology.com

Hans,
    Glenn Beck is an affront to us all.

Dorothy S,
    I agree that “facts” are sidelined in the name of Ratings. Regarding bi-partisanship, I do not remember a time when our country was so divided on so many issues. These are bitter times with many suffering while the verbiage of fools continues.

• Harrison said:

Wow when I saw the words “Hitler” and “politics” I thought you were talking about all the Democrats who compared Bush to Adolf. Sadly, just another Glenn Beck rant.

• One of The Guys said:

What strikes me, is that his “comments” about liberals more closely reflect what conservatives stand for. I’m not talking health care, I’m talking: no tolerance for diversity, religious “fanatics”, closed minded, good old boys, etc.

Which side is really closer to the regimes he describes?

Mr. Beck acts like a wild animal backed in a corner. He sees his demise on the horizon.

Harrison,
    Clearly you missed the title of the article which names Glenn Beck. You could have stopped reading right then. And I don’t know where you got the idea that ‘all Democrats compare Bush to Adolf.’ It is absolutely untrue. While we disagreed with him on many issues, both at the time of his presidency and in hindsight, I have not seen this particular comparison. I read many blogs each day. You may have found some that I missed, but that does not make it a majority of opinions from Democrats.

One of The Guys,
    I would like to believe that Beck’s TV career is on the “demise” but as long as the ratings hold, he is in for the duration. He really is a no-tolerance guy. Considering his background and some of his struggles in life, one might think he would be more open-minded. Alas, that is not the case.

• Carpetbagger said:

A part of me likes the fact that Beck and O’Reilly and Limbaugh are the “faces” of conservatism, instead of more muted and intelligent voices like Krauthammer and Scarborough. I’d like to think that by propping up such clowns, FOX is chasing off the truly thinking men and women in the middle who are up for grabs every election cycle. I mean come on, I have many Republican friends—not ideologues, just folks who want low taxes and abortion to remain illegal. None of them would dream of ever linking the left with Nazism. None of them watch Beck, either.

But then there’s my brother in Houston. He struggles with alcoholism and depression and sits alone in his apartment and feeds on FOX and talk radio what these guys say. It makes him so angry that he will hardly have anything to do with me because I voted for Obama. He buys into the fear and the gloom-and-doom future forecast. I really worry that one day soon, another one of their listeners will snap and get an opportunity to do something demented and crazy like the idiot who shot the abortion doctor. It will happen again.

Carpetbagger,
    You bring up an excellent and telling point. FOX does not utilize the Conservative intellects like Krauthammer and Scarborough. Why? Their demographics are aimed at those with lower intelligence who simply enjoy the feeding frenzy. I don’t mean to disparage your brother here, but you know what I mean.

I used to love watching William F. Buckley’s show. While I did not agree with him on many issues, he made me think and was a true intellect. I doubt he would have ever stooped to appearing on FOX.

• Carpetbagger said:

In my brother’s case, unfortunately, I think the alcohol and depression suplants the need for low intellect.

With Buckley, there was a respect for true debate and give and take that is missing today. I’m afraid that MSNBC is just as bad on the other side.

• Harrison said:

“FOX does not utilize the Conservative intellects like Krauthammer and Scarborough.”

Why don’t you try watching Bret Baier’s weekday broadcast. You will find Mr. Krauthammer on that show Monday thru Friday taking part in panel discussions regarding politics.

And Joe Scarborough has his own show on MSNBC… why would he want to appear on a competing network?

• Tom Degan said:

FOX Noise is trying to make us swallow the utterly false assertion that Hitler and Stalin were not, as history has led us to believe, bitter enemies. The plain truth of the matter is that they were in bed with one another – ideologically speaking, that is. At one point in this silly program, Jonah Goldberg says, “The Nazis and the Bolsheviks in Germany was really a case of Coke vs. Pepsi.” That is why when the Nazi Party was formed in the nineteen-twenties, they decided the swastika at the center of their flag needed to be surrounded by a bold field of red. They were trying to attract the Socialists, whose flag was the same color.

What is conveniently omitted is the fact that Hitler wasn’t trying to forward the Socialist cause, he was trying to convert them or – at the very least – confuse them. According to Beck, the only reason Herr Hitler opposed Communism was because he disagreed with its “internationalism”. This is utter nonsense which can be debunked by a cursory examination of every comment Hitler ever made (public and private) on the subject of Soviet Russia and Marxism.

One segment of the program is subtitled, “THE GENOCIDE YOU’VE NEVER HEARD OF”. What genocide might this be, you may ask? It is the fact that millions of Russians were murdered by Stalin’s regime. The Liberals, says Beck, don’t want you to know about this and have deleted it from the history books. This segment might more accurately have been called: “THE GENOCIDE THAT GLENN BECK AND YOUR AVERAGE VIEWER OF FOX NOISE HAS NEVER HEARD OF”. I don’t know about you but I’ve known about the mass murder carried out by Josef Stalin ever since I started reading history in my early teens. What books (or book) is Glenn talking about? “My Life, My Loves” by Eddie Fisher perhaps? Come to think of it, old Eddie did omit that nasty little fact from his text. Coincidence? I wonder. He’s hiding something, I know it!

Tom Degan
    Goshen, NY

Tom,
    I most appreciate the factual data you have added here. I had to laugh when you suggested what books Glenn Beck may be reading!

Levity aside, Beck is a toxin that too many people are ingesting. You have aptly stated facts. It is quite a sin of omission that Beck and others of his ilk re-write history to glean hype and to generate ratings. Because of this, I see the FOX network as almost a 24 hour sitcom, but more dangerous. They have lost all credibility.

You have added a lot of substance here. I would challenge any Beck aficionado to refute you. Thanks for weighing in on this, and I look forward with the hope that you will return.

• Tom Degan said:

Thank you for the kind words, the pleasure is all mine!

Cheers!

Tom Degan

• VH said:

Tom Degan said:

“FOX Noise is trying to make us swallow the utterly false assertion that Hitler and Stalin were not, as history has led us to believe, bitter enemies…”

“HISTORICAL FACT: Here is something else Glenn Beck neglected to mention. It was not only the Jews who were consigned to perish in the Nazi death camps. Also marked for extermination were Gypsies, homosexuals – and Communists. Liberal my eye!”

Was all of this before or after Operation Barbarossa? The Nazi’s and the Soviets were close trading partners that happily worked together to invade Poland, split the spoils, and start WWII. Or is that another Glenn Beck fantasy?

“What is conveniently omitted is the fact that Hitler wasn’t trying to forward the Socialist cause, he was trying to convert them or – at the very least – confuse them. According to Beck, the only reason Herr Hitler opposed Communism was because he disagreed with its ‘internationalism’”

Hitler was an opportunist and he used populist rhetoric to enthrall the German people by appealing to their race and German nationalism—hence, his disdain for Communism’s internationalism. The “People’s Chancellor” ingratiated himself to the working German man by adopting socialist language and later, policies. Many who joined the Nazi movement were converted Marxists and Socialists: Nationalsozialistische Deutsche Arbeiterpartei is translated to National Socialist German Worker’s Party—it’s no coincidence.

• Bob Loosemore said:

Just a quick complaint @ VH. Do try to be accurate and not use the word Socialist, when you refer to National Socialist – they are not the same thing.

It is perhaps easy for an Englishman to judge loud-mouthed ranters like Beck as unhinged, but of course their market exists in large numbers, challenged but well-fed and aggressive people with pocket-money who feel they should have opinions (a modern phenomena)but do not want to work at acquiring them.

Does it matter? It does if the Beckjunkies vote, I suppose.